Monday, August 27, 2012

Accidental pumpkins

When we first moved into our house the back yard sloped down pretty bad. There was about a 3 1/2 foot difference from my back door to the back corner of my yard, so every time I did a project around the yard I would take the extra dirt and throw into the back corner to even out the slope. After Halloween in 2006 I had a pumpkin that started to go bad, so i chucked it out into the back corner and forgot about it. Next summer all of these vines appeared out of nowhere!

Once I saw the big yellow blooms I knew exactly what it was and where it cam from! We got about 4 pumpkins the size of basketballs that year. Every year we would throw the old one out back and next season we would have more pumpkins, last year we even had some gourds. This year I replaced my green beans that didn't make it because of the drought with a variety of pumpkins that are supposed to get about 3 feet round and weigh about 100 pounds. I will add more pictures when they start to bloom.

No comments:

Post a Comment